Monday, January 19, 2009

Photobucket

Mr. Chris is right. King Oscar "tiny-tots" brisling sardines represent the pinnacle of easily-sourced domestic brands.

I just took a spin out to 122nd ave to spend my last $80 on groceries, and since I know that they carry the fish in the yellow package, I grabbed up a can.

I have typically been interested in tinned sardines of the rarer sort, but have fallen back on King Oscar in many a time of need. It is a soft landing.

If memory serves, these were at one time marked, "Norway", but the can I purchased was packed in Poland, and I have a feeling, that since the company is now owned by Bumble-Bee, they probably source their fish from many different ports, worldwide.

Medium fishy odor, relatively firm, and packed in a low-quality olive oil. Mouthfeel is good, if a bit on the soft side, and flavor is nice and easy, with a sort of bland fishiness.

At $2.49 a can, not the best value out there, but again, an excellent quality standby sardine.

Eaten today, just now, with Tillamook sharp cheddar and pepper jack, Chef Paul's Magic pepper sauce (courtesy of Hamachi), saltines, and a bottle of Deschute's Obsidian Stout.

3 out of 5 tins.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

2 comments:

oldschooly said...

Thanks for that. Do you reckon that Bumble Bee brand sardines would be THE value at this point? I am fond of their wee fish in hot sauce. I suppose I need to get over the the coop for some the Portuguese kind, the good shit, and enjoy them with some champagne......of beers.

Old Nevermore said...

I have eaten the Bumble-bee brand, and was bummed. I think they're under two bucks, so will do in a pinch (drunk).

I'm gonna go out to Uwajimaya this week and score some Japanese fishes. I'll send some your way with a bottle of that beer I told you about. Do NOT consume them together. I can think of no worse combination than mild fish and a bourbon-barrel stout.