Tuesday, November 25, 2008
"Ivar," Signa asked suddenly, "will you tell me why you go barefoot? All the time I lived here in the house I wanted to ask you. Is it for a penance, or what?"
"No, sister. It is for the indulgence of the body. From my youth up I have had a strong, rebellious body, and have been subject to every kind of temptation. Even in age my temptations are prolonged. It was necessary to make some allowances; and the feet, as I understand it, are free members. There is no divine prohibition for them in the Ten Commandments. The hands, the tongue, the eyes, the heart, all the bodily desires we are commanded to subdue; but the feet are free members. I indulge them without harm to any one, even to trampling in filth when my desires are low. They are quickly cleaned again."
One of my favorite passages from Willa Cather's O PIONEERS! 1913
Posted by Old Nevermore at 10:40 AM
- ► 2009 (95)
- Dear god.
- Weekly pdxcross Update
- It's About Having Your Priorities Straight.
- "Ivar," Signa asked suddenly, "will you tell me ...
- Training Log Vol. 5
- I Don't Believe That Anybody Feels the Way I Do Ab...
- The Godfather re-hipped me to this clip, which sho...
- Stolen from Blackbird, who can be seen here gett...
- "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I underst...
- Homeboy Matt Feeney building proper custom racks. ...
- A Letter to Patches
- I decided to take my bike-slangin ducs and put the...
- Yeah, Pretty Much...
- TPM has an awesome map HERE. Go out and vote to...
- More Barton Park
- The Crusade
- Palin is a Dumb Bunny.
- RIP Studs
- ▼ November (21)