Tuesday, June 3, 2008

And still it rains.

I've been in the shop for the last couple of weeks, and man, has it been nice. Riding my bike to work every day instead of getting on the freeway has been a revelation. I did have to put $20 in the tank of the Saturn yesterday. Got a whole 4.3 gallons, too.

In a way, I'm sort of happy this whole gas crunch is finally here. It's not like none of us knew it was eventually going to come down like this, and I figure the short, sharp, shock is probably the best way for it to be. Which is easy for me to say, since I don't really have to drive much, love being on my bike, and have excellent public transit at my disposal. Not so for the great majority of people struggling to stay afloat in rural areas nationwide.

The hope is that this may be the beginning of the consolidation of resources, and a way to rethink how transportation, especially as it applies to our food, is managed on the whole. Many, many people are going to suffer while these transitions are made, most of my family included.

Strange times.

0Oh yeah, speaking of strange times, gObama! (tm)
Looks like my man from Illinois has wrapped things up as of today. We'll see if what's her name actually concedes tonight, or if she's going to continue to screech about the Michigan and Florida delegates.

Don't go away mad, Hil. Just go away.

Horrifying accident in Mexico.
I've driven thousands of miles in Mexico over the years, and any time the thought has ever entered my mind that I might take a bicycle out onto those treacherous ass roads, an image something akin to this one has flashed into my mind:
Photobucket

Bad fucking deal, all around I'd say.


So, I'm talking to a guy tonight about taking on some bar shifts. I don't really want to, but I also kind of do. Mainly as a social outlet and to make some friendly connections in my relatively new city-- But also for the scrillas!
Pefect bar, too. Great space, cool owners, pile of bikes by the front door, hotrods in the lot, vegetarian menu. Working there would up my cool-factor 6.37%. Which is alot, considering where it is right now.

No comments: